What Is Diversity & Inclusion?
Diversity. We each have a unique blend of demographic characteristics, experiences and perspectives. All our differences matter.
Diversity is more than just ethnicity or gender, and it's more than just demographics. It encompasses each person's demographic characteristics, experiences and perspectives. All three types of diversity shape a person's identity. Diversity acknowledges that we all have differences, which makes every human being uniquely diverse.
Inclusion. Cultivating an environment in which every person is valued.
Inclusion is the cultivation of an environment in which every person is appreciated for who they are and for what they can distinctively offer. It means that everyone contributes to the success of the business and the people around them.
Why Are Diversity And Inclusion Important?
Building a diverse and inclusive workforce enhances a company in multiple ways, and turning your workplace diversity and inclusion efforts into a business strategy can have numerous benefits for your team.
- You'll attract a more diverse client base. When it comes to sales, customers are more likely to buy from companies they can relate to. Having a diverse salesforce can help you expand your client base and reach people you may not have been able to reach before.
- You'll build your brand as an employer. Working with a diverse group of people is becoming increasingly important to workers. This is particularly true with Millennials and Generation Z. A diverse workforce signals to them that your work environment is inclusive and collaborative.
- You'll foster creativity and innovation. Employees who are of a different gender, age group, race, educational background, etc. can bring different perspectives to the conversation.
- You'll be better prepared for the future. No matter the size of your business, it's important to plan for the future. What's going to happen to your business when you move on? Whether you're planning to ensure your business lives on or to ensure your customers continue to receive great care—or both—who will be your successor?
It Starts With Your Company Culture
It can be difficult to know where to start, or to come up with ideas on how to build diversity and inclusion into your strategy. Regardless of what you do, the culture within your company is the glue that holds everything together. This is the most pivotal piece—knowing who you are. Culture is what attracts the right employees, and what will sustain your company.
Before you embark on any change, and before you make any business decision, you need to know what your company culture is. Your company culture defines your values, goals and norms and it drives your organization.
Focus On The ARTS
There are four categories of interventions to help you build and sustain a diverse and inclusive workforce:
Attract: Provide education and awareness about your company and the promotional products industry to people in your community.
Recruit: Promote job opportunities and source potential employees from the community to hire the best possible talent for the position and your company.
Train: Provide your employees with skills training and professional development opportunities.
Sustain: Engage your employees to foster community, loyalty, innovation, motivation and productivity.
Diversity & Inclusion
- Why Generational Diversity Is The Ultimate Competitive Advantage
- The 3 Types Of Diversity That Shape Our Identities
The ARTS Of Diversity & Inclusion
- 6 Steps For Building An Inclusive Workplace
- How To Increase Workplace Diversity
- Here Comes Gen Z: How To Attract And Retain The Workforce's Newest Generation
- How Employers Can Attract The Best Workers In The New Flexible Labor Market
- What Attracts And Retains Today's Talent? LinkedIn's New Research Says 3 Surprising Things