Job Title: ACCOUNT MANAGER
Company: Big D Promos
Location: Dallas, Texas
Date Posted: 7/31/14
Big D Promos (BDP) is a full-service advertising specialty firm whose mission is to provide the best, most cost-effective, results-oriented merchandise to drive brand, product and corporate identity for our clients. Advertising specialty (aka promotional products, schwag, tchotchkes, trinkets and trash) is a unique niche within overall marketing and BDP is very good at it. We aim to become marketing partners with our clients to better understand their brand strategy, expectations and corporate culture. Through these partnerships we provide better client service and more strategically aligned products.
Due to our growth, we are currently seeking an aggressive, results-oriented Account Manager to be based in our Dallas, Texas office. This is not a job for the faint-of-heart but a person willing to work hard and learn quickly can grow with this opportunity.
As an Account Manager you will….
- Manage some existing business and help grow those accounts.
- Ensure projects are completed on time, on strategy and on budget.
- Execute “mundane” tasks perfectly every time. These include but are not limited to writing and entering purchase orders, tracking time and resource allocation by project and invoicing and collecting from clients (our associates Rocky and Vito are available to help on that last one).
- Grow and develop new accounts into profitable repeat business for the company.
- Actively seek out new promotional ideas, figure out how to integrate them into clients’ marketing strategies and present for approval to clients.
- Represent the company at industry trade shows.
- Get the boss and his wife tickets to see Nickelback.
To be successful in this position the applicant will need to possess a varied skillset. We’re looking for a rock star (or at least a supporting cast member who can become a star) who is…
- A self-starter able to work with limited direction and supervision.
- Passionate, proactive and positive (no flexibility here – people with bad attitudes tend to mysteriously disappear around us).
- Both strategic in thinking and tactical in execution.
- Able to work extremely well under pressure (lots of pressure – think carbon to diamonds).
- Willing to learn.
- Team-oriented and willing to check the ego at the door (having a complete lack of self-esteem might be considered a plus).
- Willing to work long hours with minimal complaining (whiners have to clean the fridge).
- Armed with strong written and verbal communication skills (be prepared to prove both of these).
- Able to multi-task and prioritize within specific time frames.
This is not an entry-level job but if you’ve got a bit of experience, this might be the growth opportunity you’re looking for.
Required background and experience include:
- 1-3 years of account management experience at a promotional products company, ad agency or marketing firm.
- Experience in inside sales, outside sales (or clearance sales) is a plus.
- Four-year degree required. Emphasis in business administration, marketing, advertising or communications preferred.
- Strong proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint required. Working knowledge of MS Access would be considered a plus (if you can prove the Brumer–Stark conjecture you probably should be at NASA rather than working for us).
- Professional appearance, high energy and a positive, can-do attitude.
- Dallas area resident as relocation is not provided.
- Base salary with commission opportunities.
- Note that it is unlikely that you’ll earn commissions during the first year on the job due to the learning curve and prioritized responsibilities.
- Paid vacation and holidays (we’re closed on Ranger’s Opening Day and May 4th – if you don’t know why you may not be a fit for this position).
- Opportunity to purchase group health but it is not supplemented by the company. In the future (as we grow) we hope to add supplemented health plans, IRAs and free coffee to the benefits.
- Flexible work schedule.
- This flexibility cuts both ways – while there are times you can come into the office at 10:00 am, there are also times when we will need you to be at the office (or perhaps at home but online) at 11:00 pm at night.
- Convenient location near Mockingbird Station in Dallas complete with parking spots for almost everyone in the building.
- Send a resume with a cover letter and base salary requirements (inquiries without these three items will be set on fire during our weekly pagan rituals) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Preliminary candidates will be screened by telephone with finalists coming in for personal interviews and possibly a dance-off (your choice – the Macarena or the Chicken Dance).